Sister Cities AAPI Highlight Stories
To wrap up our AAPI Community Highlights, we would like to bring attention to some sister cities who helped each other during the this past year regarding the pandemic. By providing PPE to their sister cities and other help they needed, these communities were able to stay strong through each other’s support. Read below to see what our partnerships were able to achieve.
Cincinnati, Ohio and New Taipei City, Taiwan – “A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed”
- Establishing their sister-city relationship in 1994, the two cities have participated in mayoral visits and cultural exchanges ranging from youth choirs, folk drum teams, and puppet shows. The sister cities continue to grow their relationship through Covid-19 relief efforts. New Taipei City donated a generous amount of PPE including hundreds of protective gowns, medial facial shields, face masks, and more.
Baltimore, Maryland – Xiamen, China Sister City Partnership
- Xiamen, China reached out to their sister-city Baltimore, Maryland in the beginning of the pandemic in efforts to support the citizens of Baltimore. With access to PPE producers, Xiamen gifted Baltimore multiple cases of surgical masks as well as other medical supplies.
Norfolk, Virgina – Ningbo-Beilun, China
- Ningbo-Beilun, China came in aid their Sister City in Norfolk, Virginia during the height of the pandemic. Throughout the partnership, both cities have created bonds for peace and shared kindness with one another. Ningbo-Beilun offered Norfolk thousands of masks and hundreds of protective gowns and goggles.
Tacoma, Washington – Fuzhou, China
- With a 25 year old relationship, Tacoma and Fuzhou delegate exchanges and student exchanges that strengthen the knowledge of each other’s culture. Tacoma put their efforts to raise money to help China during the outbreak, and in return, Fuzhou assisted Tacoma through shipments of PPE which also provided for their sister city’s staff.
Taipei, Taiwan – Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
- Taipei and Oklahoma City established their sister-city relationship in 1981 and will be reaching their 40th anniversary of sister-city relations this year! With decades of friendship, Taipei, Taiwan had presented 100,000 surgical face masks and more PPE to Governor Keven Stitt of the State of Oklahoma. Taiwan and Oklahoma have supported one another through challenging times.
Hot Springs, AR – Hanamaki, Japan: Sister City Sends Gift of Support and Encouragement
- Hanamaki and Hot Springs sister-city relations during the pandemic was nothing short from support and encouragement. Hanamaki, Japan sent over hundreds of custom handmade face masks to Hot Springs, Arkansas which held purpose and meaning dedicated to their sister city relationship.